Wednesday, June 26, 2013

75% Salvaged, Minneapolis

Reviewed June 23, 2103

I happened upon this store by accident, on my way to review another shop in the area and got lost - pleasantly lost, it turns out. If you've never been shopping in the 50th and Xerxes area of Minneapolis, and you like funky vintage stores, you're in for a treat. I couldn't help but walk into 75% Salvaged on my way down 50th Street - who could, with all those welcoming little antique chairs and kchotchkes out there on the sidewalk?

I think the best way to describe the ambiance - and the stuff -  in 75% Salvaged comes from on their own web site, http://www.75percentsalvaged.com:

"...regarding the nature of the furnishings available at  75% SaLVagEd. . . they are intentionally rustic, shabby and distressed and have been revitalized & reinvented with 25% nEw-NeSs - new knobs, new paint, new (& vintage) fabrics, new "sha-zizzle" - while retaining their aLLuRiNg oLd sOuLS; and along with those old souls come some splinters, scratches &  scars from a previous life lived passionately, which I prefer to regard as"pERfeCTlY iMPeRFeCT""

You get the picture. And if you visit the web site, you can get a better look at some of the delightful treasures they offer.

It's a very quirky - and a very tiny - place, filled with all kinds of  wonderful, whimsical things to splurge on - vintage furniture, knick-knacks, pillows, candles in old jars, handmade and antique jewelry, tote bags and purses, each lovingly refurbished and whimsically jazzed up in colorful ways. My eyes went straight to the candles in the old canning jars, the groovy Papya Art Accessories (now tell me you can actually keep your mitts off one of those splendid luxe tote bags!), and this really cool, huge silver wire-knotted ring for fifteen bucks - perfect for the index finger  with a simple black oversized top and leggings - that I just may have to go back and formally adopt. I'm also very interested in those awesome Funks' Corn Feed slipcover chairs I see on the web site because, as I sit here on my threadbare upholstered Ikea writing this, my one-year old kitten is busily putting the last three possible welts into the side of it with his claws before the stuffing explodes onto the floor.

Even if you're feeling a little down and not in a shopping mood, this is the kind of  place that will lift your spirits just by going inside. Allison, the owner, is quite friendly and will tell you little facts and tidbits about the pieces you are interested and cheerfully shoot the breeze with you, as she did with me and several other customers who stopped in with their dogs.

This is a great shop on a street full of great little shops.  Why not bring your mom, your best chick friend or your Signif some Saturday afternoon and make a grand time of checking them all out? If you do, I highly recommend 75% Salvaged as a must-stop. But dammit, don't buy my ring.

75% Salvaged
50th and Xerxes, Minneapolis MN
612-554-5567

http://www.75percentsalvaged.com
 
EmojiEmojiEmojiEmojiEmojiEmojiEmoji

No comments:

Post a Comment