Saturday, June 22, 2013

The Prop Shop, Eden Prairie MN

Reviewed June 21, 2013


The Prop Shop is a combination resale shop and nonprofit organization serving the southwest suburbs of Minneapolis. Staffed mostly by volunteers, the shop uses it's proceeds to pay needed expenses in the service of helping families in need. So when you shop there, you are doing a good thing..

There are as many kinds of thrift shops as there are Minnesota drivers, and Prop Shop is not really, shopping wise, to my particular taste. While it has lots to choose from in terms of gently used fashions, furniture and home décor, the place is sunny, large and clean and the volunteers manning the counters couldn't be nicer, it's very - how do I say this - tame. Now, if you're into tame, meaning you like floral sofas, wooden wall hangings with inspirational sayings on them, Christian wind chimes and nice but somewhat nondescript fashions with designer names running more towards Izod than Prada, you would probably like it here. I would shop here to find gifts for older friends and relatives, or to find work clothes for casual Fridays if I worked at, like, an insurance company or something. I had a hard time, though, finding much for me or anyone else who lives in a more funky/designer-type world.

Again, with any thrift, resale of consignment shop, the inventory varies depending on what they get in, but the theme here seems to run more towards the cheerful and inspirational rather than the daring, with very little in the way of  "designer". I did, however, spot a Tory Burch gold mini-clutch in perfect condition for five dollars tossed into a basket (and almost bought it, but then really, what's a working chit like me gonna do with a gold mini-clutch?), a pair of blue python Cole Haan mules, fairly worn-in but still nice, and a lovely Trina Turk Pucci-inspired print sundress for $25.00 (now, if that had been in my size I would have snapped that up). There was also a nice, white and beige Maxx New York handbag that looked new for about 15.00, but other than that the handbag area was mostly stocked with nondescript, black faux-leather things.

This would be a great store to shop if you want to help others in need, if your taste tends toward the conservative and if you aren't looking for designer or high end brands in particular. The merchandise is displayed well and, except for a few broken kick-knacks near the children's section, everything seemed to be in good condition. For me, I guess I just need a little more excitement. Although I might go back and have another look at that Maxx bag...


The Prop Shop
15195 Martin Drive
Eden Prairie, MN 55344
952-934-2323
EmojiEmojiEmojiEmojiEmojiEmoji The Prop Shop on Citysearch

No comments:

Post a Comment